Freezer Chicken Taquitos
Much better taste, value, and nutrition than the ones you buy in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s.
Dried Mexican chiles (I used guajillo, ancho, and morita)
(optional) Dried mushrooms for extra umami
Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cover the dried chiles, mushrooms, garlic, and oregano in boiling water and set aside
- Salt the chicken. Allow the chicken to brine while the peppers rehydrate, about 10 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel before cooking.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the peppers in their water, set aside.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet over medium high heat. Allow both sides to get some good color, then add the pepper mixture, deglaze the pan, and let braise until the chicken just reaches your preferred temperature (USDA recommends 165 ºF). Pull out the chicken and set aside while allowing most of the water to boil off of the braising liquid. Once the chicken has rested, shred in a stand mixer, then mix in the reduced pepper mixture. Mix in the cheese.
- Add about 1/2 of oil to a skillet, heat to about 350 ºF.
- Fry a tortilla for about 10-30 seconds per side, long enough to soften it up, but not dry it out.
- Scoop the filling into the tortilla, then roll it up. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet, and repeat for all your taquitos.
- Freeze the taquitos on the baking sheet. Once frozen, you can transfer to a bulk freezer container.
- Air fry or convection bake frozen taquitos at around 400-415ºF until done.