8+8 cups water, filtered
12 bags tea (24 grams)
1 cup sugar
Fruit juice/pulp/nectar/syrup/chunks for flavoring/carbonation
- Boil 8 cups of water, remove from heat and add tea bags. Steep for 10-20 minutes, then remove tea bags.
- Mix in sugar, and allow to cool slightly (tea will cool faster if cooled slightly before mixing with cool water). Then mix in with remaining 8 cups of filtered water (cooled, if possible) in the fermentation vessel.
- Once mixture reached ~90°F, add the scoby, cover with cheesecloth, and store in a warm, dark place for 7-10 days.
- Taste the kombucha to make sure it has reached your desired sweetness before proceeding.
- Create your flavoring. It should have enough sugar to feed carbonation. Try making blueberry syrup, adding ginger matchsticks, fruit juices, etc. Add a bit to each bottle.
- Fill the bottles with the kombucha, leaving enough headroom to prevent explosions.
- Allow to ferment at room temp for 2-3 days until carbonation builds up, then refrigerate.