Kenji’s Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Based on J. Kenji López-Alt’s technique
2 tbsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Baking soda
4 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into medium-sized chunks
5 tbsp Olive oil or duck fat
Fresh hardy herbs, minced: rosemary, thyme, etc
3 cloves Garlic, minced
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh herbs of choice: parsley, chives, etc
- Boil a pot of water, then add salt, baking soda, and potatoes. Boil until easily pierced with a fork (about 10 min).
- While boiling, infuse oil with rosemary and garlic in a pan over medium heat. Strain out solids and set both parts aside.
- When potatoes are done, drain and add to a large bowl with the infused oil. Mix, toss, roughen up potatoes, until a mushy coating forms.
- Roast in convection oven set to 400°F for 40-50 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Add potatoes to bowl with cooked garlic/rosemary, fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste, and toss to combine.
- Can try an air fryer instead of convection oven