A framework for this creamy, customizable indulgence
Pasta: spaghetti, fettuccine, etc
Cured pork: guanciale, pancetta, bacon, sausage, etc.
Hard cheese: Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano, or a combination, shredded
1 part Whole egg
1 part Egg yolk
Garnish: fresh chopped parsley, red pepper flakes, etc
- Combine cheese and eggs in a bowl.
- Cook pasta, slightly undercooking it.
- While pasta is cooking, crisp up and render the cured meat, adding extra fat if needed, in a large saute pan. Turn off heat.
- Scoop pasta into saute pan, mixing/tossing aggressively to emulsify the fats, but carefully not to break the pasta. Add egg/cheese mixture, continuing to mix/toss until cheese is melted and eggs are cooked. Be careful to add the mixture when the pasta is still hot enough to cook the eggs and melt the cheese, but not so hot that the eggs curdle.
- Serve with desired garnishes.